Monday, February 23, 2015

Tiefer Talk

When first presented with the book, the title stood out in a powerful way. Sex is Not a Natural Act. (Oh, it's not? I both agree and disagree. I wonder where this is heading...) My thoughts initially turned to the idea that sex is a complex ritual laden with cultural influences, stigma, individual expressions, etc. I loved the idea that we would be reading about the nuances and creativity surrounding sex that had to be skillfully crafted and honed. While this notion is one that Tiefer endorses, by cleverly comparing sex to the practice of a musical instrument and presenting a social constructionist lens, the theme of the book is far less about the promotion of sex as an art form and for more a criticism against the medicalization of sex. I have long been skeptical of the medical industry for many reasons (including some of her points), but feel that my perspective on the subject of sex and medicine was greatly expended by the reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment